Friday, September 10, 2010

Our Not-So-Little Boy



Oh, how time flies.

If I close my eyes and think back to the day in January of 2008 when I returned back to work from maternity leave, I can remember every worry, every check-in call, and every "I wonder if he misses me" moment. I have a friend who gently made it known to me that he was in good hands. She sent me a little card along with a sweet little picture holder all to say "We welcome Evan to the Granny Franny club." And she was right. He loves his "Granny Franny" as if she was his very own grandmother. And she loves him the same. Her love and care is evident through his sweet words and demeanor. Now, he is "big" enough to move on to the next step.

After my first couple of weeks of being away at college (okay, maybe just one week), I called my mom very upset and tearful. I was missing my home. That is when My mom told me, "Change can be so difficult. But if there is no change and there is no next step, that would mean something isn't right." It's great when moms know just the right thing to say. I have never forgotten her sweet words. They spoke to me this morning as I was driving him to his new pre-school.

We have been working hard towards this moment. Potty training hard work that is. With a little help from Thomas the Tank Engine our underwear-wearing, not-so-little boy started pre-school this morning. His teacher had asked that either Matt or myself would stay for his first day to help him adjust to the new environment. I took this request as, "I've had experience with some children on their first day that didn't go well, so stay in case you need to take him back home." So I had taken off of work so I could spend it with Evan and his classmates.

We were the first ones to arrive this morning. Let's just say that he didn't pitch a fit. He just buried his face into me and dared not to look at his teacher. At that moment I wasn't sure if he was ready and to be honest,I wasn't sure I was ready. Even the 'ole Mickey-the-Mouse show trick didn't work. Not too much time later, his first classmate arrived. Miss Addie (the daughter of my friend mentioned above). Sweet girl. When Evan saw her little pig tails come in through the door, he cracked a smile. She was sunshine to me this morning! Right after Miss Addie came, Miss Aubree followed. Quickly, Evan was at ease. These two little girls and Evan have played together many times before and I am thankful that they were there to help him on his first day.

As it turns out, approximately 30 minutes later, Evan's teacher asked him if it would be okay if his mommy left for a little while. I think he barely even remembered I was there. I gave his teacher my number and she told me to call a couple of hours later to see how he was doing. So I did. I ran some errands around town and before I headed home I called to check in. "He fits right in," she said. So we decided to let him stay the full day unless something came up and she would call me. I never got a call. He had a blast! When I walked in to pick him up, he and his classmates were sitting at the mini picnic table having cookies and milk. It couldn't have been a cuter sight...sigh! And to top it off, he had a special coloring picture that he had made to take home!

I love this sweet boy of mine. I love his cautiousness. I love his laugh. I love his half-cracked smile. I love to watch him grow...into a pre-schooler.

1 comment:

  1. Ah shelley.... our little ones are growing up. I am glad to help in the transitions of life. you will be amazed at how much evan will change after a month at ms. carlene's. he will be a coloring, glueing, cutting machine!

    p.s. love the backpack in the pics.

    ReplyDelete